Pages

Friday 21 December 2018

Alternate Living: Let Go And Be Happily Sorted


I visited a cousin in Tamilnadu in the first week of December during my recent trip to Bangalore. As I live in the outskirts whenever I go to the Garden City, a couple of buses from there take me to Tamilnadu within two hours

My cousin had shifted to her new abode in the last week of November and was still amidst cartons – unpacking, cleaning, unwrapping. As I stood there watching two helpers sort things for them who were generously tipped by a packed set of new glass bowls, by the end of the Herculean task, I smiled.

The bowl set traveled all the way through packers and movers to land as a gift in a helper’s hand in Tamilnadu. The point I am trying to make is my cousin never used it, never needed it and did not let go of it before shifting

They moved four wardrobes – That was beyond me because they have multiple homes in different cities. They could choose to keep the books, some furnishing and clothes back in one of the homes.

I am big fan of Marie Condo. Though I have not mastered the art and practice of Kon Mari, I never a miss a chance to tell people – Let Go!!

Let Go

When I was asked how do I let go of old stuff – I give away to people who need it. It is that simple. This is not generosity or any status symbol. The receiver is doing me a huge favor, almost life-saving favor by using my stuff.

There are many memories attached, hard earned money used to buy, immense energy invested in things we buy and when you no longer need, it is really hard to just throw it away.

It is very satisfying experience for me to pick a day in a month to de-clutter, simplify and organize my home.

Papers accumulate
Clothes pile up

How to begin:

Room by room approach
Closet by Closet
Category by category
Little by little

I am still guilty of having four televisions - One locked in a suitcase, one needs a check from technician.

This lifestyle phenomenon lets you keep items that spark joy while you enjoy a clean and tidy home by downsizing. The impact of de-cluttering is manifold. It is not just about tidying up external space because in the process, you tend to train your unruly mind, be calm, at peace and motivated which has ripple effect on others as your calmness can be truly inspiring.

When I am burnt out and need to unwind, I forget everything and wipe the floor. Keeping my hands busy helps my mind find stillness.

Read more about Kon Mari and Marie Condo for your regular doze of inspiration to let go and be happily sorted.

No comments:

Post a Comment